Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Nickels and dimes

Do any of you grade school moms feel nickel-and-dimed to death this time of year? Maybe it's not just seasonal, maybe it's a regular thing. But it seems like every time I turn around, there is another fundraiser, classroom supply purchase, t-shirt, picture something that I am supposed to support. In the last two weeks, we'd been asked for 18 eggs, 12 juice boxes, 24 fruit snacks, holiday magnets from the school pictures, $5 for a school dance fundraiser, and that might be it. Doesn't that seem a lot for one child? I thought so.

It's not that I don't want to help, or be financially supportive of classroom activities, but I do wish that they could do all of this up front. Send home a note that says, "I know you want to support your child's learning experience this year. Your contributions help us supplement our school funds with supplies for additional activities. Instead of my asking for $5 every other week, I'm asking that you pledge an amount up front to help with activities: $5/month, $50/year, or the "Other/I don't want my kid to have fun or learn" box.

I know this is not getting better, it will only get worse. I just wonder if there isn't a better way?

No comments:

Post a Comment