Friday, September 18, 2009

And so it begins

In my daily interrogation of Sam to try to uncover some sort of knowledge of the missing hours while he's at school, he mentioned having an assembly. (I think it came out as: assbembly). That's when I learned: it's fall fundraiser time.

I'm in support of fundraisers. Really I am. I participate in all kinds. But the idea of our kids being sent home with frozen food catalogs and being told that they can win some amazing prize is just ridiculous.

Case in point: I asked sam in the car what they were selling. He replied, "I don't think we're selling anything mom. You earn these great prizes."

"yes, I know dear. But what are you selling to earn the prizes?"

"Toys. I think toys."

Um, no. Frozen food. But they were so obsessed by the bright shiny toys that he didn't even hear how to win it. So I launch into a discussion of how you don't really "win" anything, that you sell and buy a million times more items than it would cost you to actually buy the prize. He didn't get it.

I hate to be that mom that doesn't sell anything and doesn't understand the awesomeness of the prize, but I really hate it. My mom was that mom, and now I know why.

I did look at the prize catalog, thinking we could at least shoot for the first prize: it's an eraser. Really, is anyone incentivized by a large eraser that says "I'm for big mistakes"? Good grief.

And so it begins...

1 comment:

  1. I was happy this year when we didn't have to have that assembly.

    ReplyDelete