Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hell hath no fury like a mama scorned...

Or something like that.

Tonight at soccer, Kate and I were standing there "watching" practice. This is a lot more like babysitting than watching, but so be it. I look up at some crazy drill they are doing about lanes and such and Sam no sooner gets passed the ball than this small boy uses both hands in the chest to push him over and take the ball. At practice.

I nearly came out of my skin. My mom protective gene took over, and I could feel my blood pressure rise. Fortunately, as the evolved, mature woman I am, I didn't act, but I noted it for future reference. The other thing of note: this kid's birthday is coming up and now I have to go buy him a birthday present. You can be it will be off the clearance shelf.

What is it about our mom instinct that kicks in during those moments? I talked with a friend today who said her biggest fear about Kindergarten was the other kids. I've already heard of a school bus bully and kids saying mean things, and I think I just worry that my sensitive, loving son is going to get crushed. I know I'm not alone.

But there was this other feeling at the moment of Sam's attack (ha). My competitive side creeped in and a small sense of envy arose, wishing my son were the aggressive sporty type. Honestly, with Sam's size, he could be great at just about any sport, but so far aggressive competition does not seem to be his strength. As scrawny as that other boy is, he'd better be aggressive.

So, don't walk down a quiet alley alone tonight, lest you face a mama with her back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment