Thursday, September 24, 2009

Welcome to my world

Tonight, yet another fundraiser for the elementary school. Version: the local restaurant chain turned elementary cafeteria for the night. I have to hand it to the school staff-- they are required to be at night events all the time, it seems. I'm betting there isn't a bonus for Culver's duty either.

As if we needed a little more crazy, I brought along two good friends, one of whom is leaving to study overseas for 3 years on Saturday. Goodbyes are so sweet when set to the music of 50 screaming kids, making faces at each other and giggling.

So, during fundraising dinner, my youngest starts screaming about her immediate need for fruit punch. I told her to finish milk first, then fruit punch. Guess what? She didn't like that. Five minutes later, neither did anyone else around us as she continued to cry for what she wanted. Welcome to my strong-willed child.

And yes, I saw you, lady in the black shirt, looking so smugly at me and my raving child. I know, if YOU were the parent, that would never have happened.

As I see it, I had two choices: give in, which means no screaming and no fuss, but also means that she gets control, and she knows it. Or stand my ground, which means personal embarrassment and the judgment of others, from our school, who are looking for a reason to judge me.

What would you do? Well, I didn't give in. So what? Go on and judge, lady in the black shirt, but you'd better be praying your angel's adolescent years are as glorious as the 30 minutes you spent eating ice cream, or else you'll be sitting in the judgment seat too.

No comments:

Post a Comment