Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Going green has me seeing red

Our school district is professed to be "going green," and therefore the Thursday packet, an accumulation of news and non-news handouts, is scanned into a pdf file and a link is sent via email to parents. This seems like a fine idea. Though there is so much paper coming home anyway, I hate to think what it was like pre-green.

Unfortunately, the technology doesn't seem to be working in their favor. The pdf files are always scans of the flier itself-- not a electronic file converted to pdf, but the typical black printing on color paper flier that has been scanned in. The files that we download to view from the school website are HUGE. Last week, the PTA Needs Help handout nearly crashed my computer, and it rendered my Adobe useless until after reboot. Seriously. Even scanned documents shouldn't be 10 MB.

This leads me to thinking that surely I'm not the only one having this problem. Does no one else notice this? I've decided it's one of two things: 1) No one reads these documents. 2) None of the technologically savvy parents want to mention the problem because they don't want to be "volunteered" to solve it.

I don't either. So, I guess I'll continue to reboot my computer and silently curse the PDFs that are targeted only to the 6th graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment